Well, sorry about going AWOL yesterday, but I was working on a project… What kind of project, you ask, could take me away from my love of pens? Well, only something in some way related to them, of course…

After seeing some of the leather notebooks and notebook covers out there (and the outrageous prices being charged for them), I thought I might try my hand at making my own. So, since my girlfriend’s dad works with leather (and makes knives as well), I had him order what I thought might be good leather (a chocolate cowhide suede split) for a book cover. He also passed on a couple of tips as well as some wax-coated nylon thread to help me get started. Needless to say, as soon as the leather came in (I got it Saturday), I was anxious and ready to get started working with it. Unfortunately, I didn’t get to start until yesterday (Monday), but luckily it didn’t take too long…

I started by measuring out the notebook I was planning to use for my final product. I happened to have a Moleskine Cahier Journal (Medium size) as well as a couple of medium Writersblok  notebooks hanging around and decided that they would be great to use as test subjects… I measured and cut the leather on my lunch break and prepped it for sewing. Thankfully, the suede I ordered required no further work, other than cutting and measuring…

I then proceeded to use an awl to poke small holes (just large enough for the needle and thread to pass through) about 1/16″ apart. While Ron (my girlfriend’s dad, told me I should probably poke my holes 1/8″ apart, I somehow managed to do them smaller which ultimately made for a pretty tight stitch pattern (at least in my amateur opinion). I threaded my needle and started sewing a running stitch…

3-4 hours after I started, I had a finished leather notebook cover and was relatively pleased with my first attempt at leather working…

Advertisements